Educational Technology & Computers in the Classroom
PhD in Curriculum and Instruction, with a specialization in Instructional Technology, including 13 years of research and teaching with undergraduate and graduate classes in computer technology tools for K-12 teachers, multimedia design and production, and development of online course delivery.
BS, MLS, with over 15 years of elementary classroom experience, including elementary librarian, Pre-K-5th grade music teacher, Chapter I reading specialist for grades 1 and 2, and 5th/6th grade classroom teacher.
In-depth research includes:
- Development of TPACK (Technological Pedagogical and Content Knowledge) in Teachers and the Integration of Technology and Telecommunications Across the Curriculum in Elementary Classrooms and Pre-service Teacher Preparatory Programs (Infusion of effective applications of technology across the curriculum for teachers and learners in the elementary classroom)
- Using Gamification in Higher Education courses (application of gaming elements to non-game instructional situations) to motivate and enhance knowledge building through technological tools.
- Best Practices for Creating Interdisciplinary Reading/Writing, Social Studies, and Science Instructional Environments that Integrate Technology (Design of effective learning environments that integrate Internet resources and technology tools)
- Impact of Emerging Technologies (including mobile devices and social networks) on Classroom Instruction (Design of appropriate technology-based instructional activities/projects for handhelds and the impact of their use upon instruction in the elementary classroom)
University of Texas, Ph.D., Curriculum and Instruction, Instructional Technology, December 2000
Dissertation Title: Relationships Between Selected Elementary Teachers' Beliefs and Educational Technology Use Dissertation
(PDF version, 540KB)
Director: Judi Harris, Ph.D.
M.L.S., University of Texas-Austin, 1979
B.S., University of North Texas, 1973
A.A., South Plains College, 1971
Texas All-Level Learning Resources Endorsement
Texas Elementary Certificate
2014 SITE Outstanding Poster Award: Award for best poster presentation, The TPACK Teacher Game: Gamifying Technological Pedagogical and Content Knowledge (TPACK), selected as the best poster at the Society for Information Technology and Teacher Education(SITE) 2014 Annual Conference.
2014 Thompson TPACK SIG Best Paper Award: Award for Using Design-Based Research to Promote Faculty Knowledge of Technology Enhanced Teaching, selected as one of five best papers in 2014 submitted to the TPACK SIG, the Society for Information Technology and Teacher Education (SITE).
2011 SITE Outstanding Poster Award: Award for best poster presentation, Using eBooks to Develop TPACK: Teacher Candidates Get ‘Handy’ for Class, selected as the best poster at the Society for Information Technology and Teacher Education(SITE) 2011 Annual Conference.
2011 Thompson TPACK SIG Best Paper Award: Award for Developing a Survey from a Taxonomy of Characteristics for TK, TCK, and TPK to Assess Teacher Candidates’ Knowledge of Teaching with Technology, selected as one of six best papers in 2011 submitted to the TPACK SIG, the Society for Information Technology and Teacher Education (SITE).
2007-2008 Teachers Learning Together Grant: Elementary Teachers Federation of Ontario (with Co-PI, Kamini Jaipal-Jamani).
2005 Recipient of WTOnline Course Development Grant:
A WTOnline Initiative Funded by West Texas A&M University.
2004 Recipient of
WTOnline Course Development Grant:
A WTOnline Initiative Funded by West Texas A&M University.
2004 Recipient of Faculty Professional Development Grant: A West Texas A&M University Initiative.
2002 Recipient of Summer Research Award for Young Faculty: A University of Louisiana at Lafayette Initiative.
2013-2014 Chair; 2012-2013 Co-chair for the TPACK SIG for the Annual Conference, Society for International Technology and Teacher Education (SITE).
2013-2015 President of the TATE SIG; 2010-2013 Program Chair for the TATE SIG for the Annual Conference, The Canadian Society for the Study of Education (CSSE)
Texas TIPD Corp: Selected as one of only 14 educators in the state of Texas to be sponsored by TCEA as technology integration training specialists. See more information at http://txtipd.wm.edu.
2004-2006 Board Member, Association for Computer Educators in Texas (elected board member of this statewide organization for educators in high schools, community colleges, colleges and universities, October 2004) Served as Publicity Chairman for the 2005 ACET Conference in Ft. Worth, TX
Areas of Specialization:
- Developing TPACK knowledge in teacher candidates and higher education faculty
- Interdisciplinary Use of Technology in Social Studies, Science, and Language Arts
- Technology Integration into K-12 classrooms (for teachers, librarians, and students)
- Online and Distance Learning Pedagogy
- Mobile devices in the classroom
- Technology tools that enhance learning for students, teachers, and librarians
- Learning Resources Centers and Programs at the Elementary Level (School Library Media Programs)
- Children's literature and its use in Pre-K - 6th grade instruction
Areas of Teaching Interests:
- Interdisciplinary Use of Technology in Reading, Social Studies, and Science
- Teaching Multimedia Design and Production in the Online Environment
- Teaching with Technology (Instructional Design, Moble Devices, Classroom Organization and Management)
- Technology tools that enhance learning for Teachers and Librarians
- Multimedia Design and Production for K-12 Teachers and Librarians
- Learning and Teaching on the Internet
- Research and Reference Sources on the Internet
- Constructing and Delivering Online Instruction
- Children's Literature
- Literacy and Technology
- Introduction to Qualitative Research